Saturday, December 10

the day i became a mother

Mishel Aairah's Birth Story - 20+ hrs of labor

Hello world!
I am Mishel Aairah Binte Abdul Mutalib!
(taken a few minutes after she was born)


My edd was on the 26th Nov' 11.
I was already at 40 weeks and my dear baby girl showed no signs of coming out.
I had to be induced on the night of 28th November at 10pm.
After inserting a pill, I was left alone in the triage for 2 hours to monitor my contractions and baby's heartbeat.
While i was alone,
listening to my baby's heartbeat,
food came to my mind.
Especially ebi temaki handroll and the ginger!

I managed to twitter down the food I thought of while being induced.

When all is good,
I was transferred to the ward pass midnight.
By then both my husband and I were starving,
he went down to get food.
Thank goodness there was fresh packets of nasi lemak available at 7-11.
After the 'last meal', we managed to get some rest.

It was around 4.50am that I felt my waterbag leaked.
Woke my husband who was sleeping nicely and called for the nurse.
The nurses brought me to the delivery suite at 5am.
It was then my contractions got more intense and painful.
I thought I could go through labor using only the gas,
but the pain got worse.

I decided to have the epidural after discussing with my husband.
The epidural helped a lot in the pain until I managed to fall asleep.

Hours past,
my husband and I waited and waited and waited.
The only thing that I could have was plain water, sips of it.
My husband kept me accompany by staying up, watched the tv and he also managed to do some work.
Doctors after doctors and nurses after nurses came in to check my progression and how dilated I was.
Every time they checked, I got disappointed because my progress was very, very slow.
Outside, my mom and aunt were eagerly waiting for me and baby MA.
Poor husband that he had to deliver the 'bad news' saying it is not time yet. 

It was only at 10pm (24 hours later after being induced) that i am fully dilated.
Yahoo!
The long wait finally ends!
It was time to push!
That was when they stopped the epidural.
Once the epidural stops, the contractions came back fiercely.

I pushed for an hour and still there wasn't much progress.
Baby MA was still high, she showed no signs of wanting to come out. 
While pushing,
my shoulders hurt a lot perhaps because I've been laying down too much that it got stiff.
I had no more energy to push.
The contractions were too painful.
Nurses and several doctors asked me to push but I just couldn't.
I panicked.
I know I can't make it.
 The next thing to do was an emergency csect.

While i was in the operating theater,
I remembered both of my hands were shaking.
I have no control over them.
My husband wasn't with me (the hospital's regulations)
I wasn't that aware of the surroundings.
I was only conscious when the gynae informed me that everything was over,
and i remembered asking her "how's the baby?"

A few minutes later,
a baby was brought in front of me,
nicely wrapped up and she was staring at me quietly.
I couldn't help but to stare back at her big round eyes and kissed her.
While I stared back,
there was a connection that we both shared, 
a moment that i couldnt forget.

After 9 months,
I managed to meet my baby that I've been carrying in my womb.
Syukur Alhamdulillah!
Baby Mishel Aairah was born at 1.05am, 30 November after 20 hours of labor. 

After the nurses cleaned me up,
I was placed in the recovery ward for a while to monitor my condition.
I remembered the nurse was making a conversation with me.
She said "your baby is so cute and pretty".
While she said that,
I had to recalled back the brief moment I had with my daughter.
After which I replied "thank you".

I was being brought back to the ward and it was nice to be greeted by my family members.
They had waited since 4pm until 2am for the baby's arrival.
I had to thank them for waiting.
They were really excited for baby MA and concerned about me.
My parents gave me kisses on my forehead and asked how am I before they head home.
I felt like a small girl once again.
:)

My daughter wasn't in the same ward nursery,
she had to be observed in the special care nursery.
The doctors were taking precaution on her as they were afraid if there was any infection since my water bag had leaked for quite some time.

When it was the visiting hours for the scn,
my husband would go down without fail to meet baby MA.
Everytime he did that, he would come back with photos and videos of our little one.

Since I wasn't feeling well after the operation,
it was only after the 2nd day that I managed to be mobile to see baby MA.
With every day that pass,
I was getting better.
Alhamdulillah!
After 5 days being in the hospital,
both my baby and I were able to be discharged.

I wish to thank those family members, friends and colleagues who came to visit and those who gave gifts, wishes and prayers.
Thank you very much!

Thank you to my parents, aunt, uncle and in-laws for coming almost every day.
I have to thank my husband especially for helping me a lot and accompanied me during my hospital stay.
Thank you honey!
I love you!


The views from my room.
Can you spot marina bay sands?


Mishel Aairah sweetheart,
Mama will always remember the first time mama laid her eyes on you.
It was love at first sight.
You were staring at mama and mama was staring at you.
For a moment,
mama didn't know what to do.
All mama know was that she felt peaceful.
Time stood still.
It was the most beautiful feeling ever.
That feeling will always stay with her.
Both mama and papa are really happy to have you.
Mama can see that papa face lights up when he sees you.
Did you know that papa feed you first before mama?
Mama and papa can't get enough of you and love you!

No comments: